Police Executive Role
in the 21st Century
Police Executive Role in the 21st Century (PER21C)
An executive development program designed to expand and enhance senior law enforcement leaders’ strategic leadership knowledge, skills, and abilities. Participants completing this program will build their individual, team, and organizational leadership competencies to address the challenges of emerging organizational and community needs.
This course is designed for chief executives and senior managers who ultimately will lead police agencies
Course Content Areas:
- Executive Strategic Leadership
- Managing the Intergenerational Workforce
- Managing Diversity and Inclusion
- Operationalizing Procedural Justice
- Organizational Accountability: Force Management
- Cases in Executive Decision Making
- Labor-Management Relations
- Fiscal Management: Budgeting and Planning
- Foundations of Police Futuring
- Leadership Dialogue: It’s Your Ship
- Strategic Planning: Building a Sustainable Future
- Succession Planning: Investing in Future Leaders
- Career Mapping: Preparing for the Next Level
In addition to classroom discussions, these courses provide participants with the opportunity to network with law enforcement executives from other agencies.
Course topics and content may change or be modified from time to time, ensuring that topics are recent and relevant, to address emerging issues impacting policing and provide the most up-to-date information meeting the current needs of law enforcement leaders.
Course Format – The course consists of three traditional classroom modules, Internet-based instructional modules, selected article reviews, textbook readings, and writing assignments that will require homework and will be graded. In addition to classroom discussions, this course provides participants with the opportunity to network with law enforcement executives from other agencies. In order to partake in PER21C successfully, all participants are required to have access to a laptop computer for daily use.
Prerequisites – Applicants must be sworn law enforcement officers or law enforcement support personnel employed by a local, state or federal agency who are senior law enforcement leaders (Chiefs, Deputy Chiefs, Captains) responsible for overseeing the development of policy and procedures in law enforcement agencies; and Lieutenants/Commanders who have completed the Police Mid-Management Role in the 21st Century course, or equivalent training, and have a minimum of 5 years in current rank
Reference Texts (Not Required) –
- Criminal Justice Administration Strategies for the 21st Century, Cronkhite C. L., Jones and Bartlett (2008) ISBN 978-0-7637-4111-2
- Police Administration, Cordner, G. W. and Scarborough, K. E., LexisNexis, 7th“> Edition (2010) ISBN 978-1-4224-6324-6
- The Police Manager, Lynch, R. G. and Lynch, S. R., LexisNexis, 6th Edition (2005) ISBN 1-59345-266-7
Required Reading –
- It’s Your Ship, Abrashoff, D. Michael, Hachette Book Group (2012) ISBN 978-1-4555-2302-3, this book will be supplied
Dates & Location – PER21C classroom modules
- Module 1: September 30 – October 4, 2019
- Module 2: November 4 – 8, 2019
- Module 3: December 9 – 13, 2019
Heartland Community College,
1500 W Raab Rd, Normal, IL 61761
Tuition Free, administrative cost $250
Registration deadline is August 31, 2019 or until the class is full.